REINFORCE — Bridging the gap between Science and Society through Citizen Science
01 June 2020 / 11:00-12:30 CEST
The REINFORCE project will create a series of cutting-edge citizen science projects on frontier Physics research, with citizen scientists making a genuine and valued contribution to managing the data avalanche. This Webinar introduces the project, focusing on and explaining mostly the four Citizen Science Demonstrators that will be developed within the project.
- Understanding the potential of citizen science for society
- Discovering the benefits of integrating citizens input in frontier Physics research
- Keeping abreast with the research work carried out within Large Research Infrastructures
Citizen science interventions are becoming more and more relevant across all scientific disciplines and the humanities and it can potentially bring a wide variety of benefits to researchers, citizens, policy makers and society across the research and innovation cycle. Nevertheless, there are difficulties setting up citizen science initiatives, for example in terms of choosing the optimum methodologies and ensuring balanced participation of citizens.
The Webinar aims at introducing the REINFORCE project to the European Research community and to the broad public of potential citizen scientists, focusing mostly on the four Citizen Science Demonstrators that will be developed within the project. REINFORCE will create a series of cutting-edge citizen science projects on frontier Physics research, with citizen scientists making a genuine and valued contribution to managing the data avalanche, with the aim of reaching the following impacts:
- Generating a change in awareness and understanding of basic research and its impact on society;
- Developing new knowledge and innovations by citizens;
- Offering availability of evaluation data concerning the societal, democratic and economic costs and benefits of citizen science; and
- Making available indicators to measure the impact of citizen science activities.
Have you ever wondered about the importance of Large Research Infrastructures for society?
Do you know how volunteers can help professional scientists to conduct research?
Are you interested in contributing to the hunt for gravitational waves?
Want to make a valuable impact to High Energy and Cosmic Rays Physics?
Want to become a Deep-Sea Hunter?
This webinar is open to everyone interested in citizen science in general and who is interested in being part of frontier research in specific. We are welcoming anyone, specialists and amateur. The fields of interest that this webinar covers are wide-ranging:
- Interested citizen scientists
- EU Research community (in Physics particular)
- Gravitational Wave Astronomy researchers and academics
- Neutrino Astronomy researchers and academics
- High Energy and Cosmic Rays Physics experts
- Marine life experts
11:00–11:05 — Welcome and introduction
11:05–11:15 — Citizen engagement strategy (WP2)
11:15–11:25 — Gravitational Wave noise hunting (WP3)
11:25–11:35 — Deep Sea Hunters (WP4)
11:35–11:45 — Search for New Particles at the LHC (WP5)
11:45–11:55 — Cosmic Muons Images (WP6)
11:55–12:00 — Case Study presentation
12:00–12:10 — Q&A
Reinforce project https://reinforceeu.eu/
REINFORCE on Medium https://medium.com/@reinforceeu